skip to main content


Coursework in languages other than English (LOTE) is not a requirement for a diploma/graduation from SDUHSD. It is offered as an elective as part of the course of study within the district.
Students are not required to post off-campus language to the SDUHSD high school transcript. If they choose to seek approval to post, completed courses are posted as credit toward electives for the diploma.
The California State University/University of California and other colleges' admission practices for a language other than English may include alternative methods to fulfill the language requirement, including exam scores, so please review campus admission practices and consult with your school counselor.


Courses in a language other than English will be awarded transfer credit on the SDUHSD transcript only if the school is fully accredited, UC-approved, or on the below SDUHSD-approved non-accredited list for the current school year.
Per Board Policies 6146.1, 6146.11, and 6146.3, the district shall grant elective credit toward high school graduation for successful completion of coursework in languages other than English in a private school. (Education Code 51243-51244, 5 CCR 1632), only if all of the following conditions are met:
  • The institution has been fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (see directory), or a regional equivalent, as a school offering courses leading to a high school diploma and/or University of California-approved (see a-g lists). Courses taken through providers that are accredited only as Supplementary Ed programs by WASC will not be posted using SDUHSD college preparatory course numbers.
  •  The courses are in languages designated in Education Code 51244 or State Board of Education regulations.
  •  The amount of credit sought equals at least one semester’s work.
  •  A SDUHSD Off-Campus Course Permission Request form must be signed by the student, parent/guardian, and counselor prior to a student enrolling in the private instruction off-campus course.
  •  The student shall receive the same letter grade for the high school credit as is granted by the private instruction school. No weighted grade credit will be granted with the exception of College Board Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses that are weighted by the University of California. AP courses must be on the outside school’s AP Course Ledger or provide evidence of an approved College Board AP Authorization for the year taken in order to be placed on the transcript.
  •  Upon completion of the course, the student must submit an official, written transcript that includes the grade issued and credit earned, as evidence from the off-campus school showing that the student completed the course.
Approved not fully accredited off-campus language schools 

Approved not fully accredited off-campus language schools 

SDUHSD allows students to receive transfer elective credit for eligible world language courses offered by schools that are not on a UC-approved a-g list and for those pre-approved schools that are not fully accredited (including Supplementary Education Centers/Programs) but that have been annually certified by SDUHSD as required through the district approval process.
Please reference the following documents:
These approved private world language courses do not count as part of the 30-credit maximum off-campus credits if the language is not offered by a student's district school. 
Schools that are not fully accredited must be reviewed and approved or renewed annually between February and March for the following school year. Questions from schools that are not fully accredited may be directed to Educational Services at the SDUHSD District Office.