skip to main content
Educational records

Educational records

Education records are defined as those records that contain information directly related to a student and which are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that affords parents the right to have access to their children’s education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records.
Parent/guardian means a natural parent, an adopted parent, legal guardian, surrogate parent, or foster parent.
Adult student is a person who is or was enrolled in school and who is at least 18 years of age.

Student Privacy 101 - a video explaining rights related to student information and records.

The district's Annual Notification and data confirmation processes outline the definitions and practices related to student information and records, including the ability to opt-out of sharing student directory information.
Current Students
School records are maintained at each school campus by the school registrar. Please contact the school registrar's office directly for any inquiries related to current student records.
Requests for records from a new school where a student is currently enrolling or attending should be addressed to the school registrar. SDUHSD staff members will not complete subjective ratings, letters, or recommendation forms for K-12 private school admission.  Educational records, such as grades, courses, attendance, etc. may be printed from the Aeries Parent Portal. Educational records that are not accessible to parents via the Aeries portal must be requested from the school registrar by the parent/guardian/educational rights holder. Due to student privacy rights, school staff may not release records to outside parties without educational rights holder permission.
Former Students
Records may be maintained at the former school of attendance or the district office. To begin, please contact the registrar at the former school of attendance.


“Mandatory Permanent Pupil Records” are those records which the schools have been directed to compile by California statute authorization or authorized administrative directive. Each school district shall maintain indefinitely all mandatory permanent pupil records or an exact copy thereof for every pupil who was enrolled in a school program within said district. 
“Mandatory Interim Pupil Records” are those records which the schools are required to compile and maintain for stipulated periods of time and are then destroyed as per California statute or regulation. 
“Permitted Records" are those pupil records which districts may maintain for appropriate educational purposes. 
Such records shall include the following:
(A) Legal name of pupil.
(B) Date of birth.
(C) Method of verification of birth date.
(D) Sex of pupil.
(E) Place of birth.
(F) Name and address of parent of minor pupil.
1. Address of minor pupil if different than the above.
2. An annual verification of the name and address of the parent and the residence of the pupil.
(G) Entering and leaving date of each school year and for any summer session or other extra session.
(H) Subjects taken during each year, half-year, summer session, or quarter.
(I) If marks or credit are given, the mark or number of credits toward graduation allows for work taken.
(J) Verification of or exemption from required immunizations.
(K) Date of high school graduation or equivalent.
Such records include:
A) A log or record identifying those persons (except authorized school personnel) or organizations requesting or receiving information from the record. The log or record shall be accessible only to the legal parent or guardian or the eligible pupil, or a dependent adult pupil, or an adult pupil, or the custodian of records.
(B) Health information, including Child Health Developmental Disabilities Prevention Program verification or waiver.
(C) Participation in special education programs including required tests, case studies, authorizations, and actions necessary to establish eligibility for admission or discharge. 
(D) Language training records.
(E) Progress slips and/or notices as required by Education Code Sections 49066 and 49067.
(F) Parental restrictions regarding access to directory information or related stipulations.
(G) Parent or adult pupil rejoinders to challenged records and to disciplinary action.
(H) Parental authorizations or prohibitions of pupil (participation in specific programs.
(I) Results of standardized tests administered within the preceding three years.
Such records may include:
(A) Objective counselor and/or teacher ratings. 
(B) Standardized test results older than three years.
(C) Routine discipline data.
(D) Verified reports of relevant behavioral patterns.
(E) All disciplinary notices.
(F) Attendance records not covered in the Administrative Code Section 400.
The mandatory permanent pupil record or a copy thereof shall be forwarded by the sending district upon request of the public or private school in which the student has enrolled or intends to enroll. 
Destroyed when the student is no longer enrolled
Destroyed when the student is no longer enrolled or when no longer appropriate for educational purposes/usefulness ceases.
student name change requests

student name change requests

The Mandatory Permanent Pupil Records reflect a student's legal name as shown on government-issued documents unless documentation has been provided that shows that a name has been legally changed. 
Upon each student’s enrollment, the district is required to maintain a mandatory permanent student record (official record) that includes the student’s gender and legal name. A student's legal name as entered on the mandatory permanent student records required pursuant to 5 CCR 432 shall only be changed with proper documentation. A student’s gender as entered on the student’s official record required pursuant to 5 CCR 432 shall only be changed with written authorization of a parent/guardian having legal custody of the student. (Education Code 49061) When proper documentation or authorization, as applicable, is not submitted with a request to change a student’s legal name or gender, any change to the student’s record shall be limited to the student’s unofficial records. (AR 5145.3) 
California laws allow students to request to be addressed by a preferred name at school and for student unofficial records to reflect a preferred name even if it has not been officially changed. Please contact the school counselor for assistance.
California Assembly Bill 711 bill requires a school district, charter school, or county office of education to update a former pupil’s records to include the pupil’s updated legal name or gender if the school district, charter school, or county office of education receives government-issued documentation demonstrating that the former pupil’s legal name or gender has been changed. The bill also requires an educational institution to reissue specified documents conferred upon, or issued to, the former pupil with the former pupil’s updated legal name or gender, if requested by the former pupil. The bill would also require the school district, charter school, or county office of education to add a new document to the former pupil’s file documenting specified details of the request and reissuance, as provided. See Board Policies and Administrative Regulations for Records and Non-Discrimination.
District Custodian of Records: 

District Custodian of Records: 

Laura Strachan, Director of Pupil Services