San Dieguito Union High School District Logo


Please check with your school site for summer hours

All students under the age of 18 who have not received their diplomas must obtain a work permit prior to starting employment.

To obtain your Work Permit:

  1. Download a “Request for Work Permit and Statement of Intent to Employ Minor” form.
  2. Employer completes and signs Section 1 (“Statement of Employer”).
  3. Complete Section 2 (“Statement of Parent or Guardian Regarding Minor”) and obtain a signature from your parent/guardian.
  4. Bring your completed Request form to your school site. A 24 hour turn around may apply for processing of work permits.

Please note:  Students must be present with identification when the work permit is issued.  Incomplete forms will delay processing your Work Permit.  Parents may not sign for students.




Q:  If I’ve graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?
A:  Once a minor is no longer subject to the state’s compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state’s child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]).  Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.

Q:  If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?
A:  Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.

Q:  When do work permits expire?
A:  Summer 2019 work permits expire five days after the beginning of the next school year (9/1/2019).

Q:  Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?
A:  No, you must bring in your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed.  The student must be present when the work permit is issued AND bring picture ID. 

Q:  Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?
A:  No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.

Q:  What ages are required to have a work permit?
A:  Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.

Q:  Can I get a work permit at my high school?
A:  Yes, during the summer, work permits are issued at the school sites only. 



The following restrictions and spread of hours are for summer employment and considered vacation permits.

  • 16 and 17 year olds: 8 hours per day with a maximum of 48 hours per week.
  • 14 and 15 year olds:  8 hours per day with a maximum of 40 hours per week.
  • 12 and 13 year olds: May be employed only during school holidays and vacations.  Employment is restricted to certain household occupations, messengers, delivery, and agriculture.