San Dieguito Union High School District Logo

Off-Campus Language Other Than English CoursesTop of Page


Per Board Policy 6200.1 and 6200.1/AR-1 High School Graduation Requirements and 6146.3 and 6146.3/AR-1 Reciprocity of Academic credit, the district shall grant credit toward high school graduation for successful completion of coursework in languages other than English in a private school. (Education Code 51243-51244, 5 CCR 1632), only if all of the following conditions are met:


1. The institution has been WASC (or regionally equivalent) accredited as a school offering courses leading to a high school diploma and/or University of California approved.

2. The courses are in languages designated in Education Code 51244 or State Board of Education regulations.

3.  The amount of credit sought equals at least one semester’s work.

4.  An “Off-Campus Course Permission Request Form” must be signed by the student/parent/guardian, and counselor prior to a student enrolling in the private instruction off-campus course.

5. Upon completion of the course, the student must submit an official, written transcript that includes grade issued and credit earned, as evidence from the off-campus school showing that the student successfully completed the course. 


SDUHSD allows students to receive transfer credit for certain world language courses offered by approved unaccredited schools and providers. Please review

These private foreign language courses do not count as part of the 30-credit off-campus limit. 


To obtain credit, students are required to meet with their high school counselor and complete an SDUHSD Off- Campus Course Permission Request form prior to enrolling in the course.

It is strongly recommended that college-bound students who are interested in taking an off-campus language course from a private school, contact the college campus that they are interested in attending to determine if the course would be accepted as fulfilling the Language Other Than English (LOTE) entrance requirement for that campus.